Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Very Special LO

I have had this photo for a long time and it was tucked away, in its frame down in the basement...

My father-in-law is in the front row squatting down, 2nd from the right. We used to sit together after work and he would tell me all about his day at the factory where he worked and tons of stories about "Back Home" in Sao Miguel, Portugal...

I thought about making the title, "Shoes are for Sunday"... No one has shoes on in this photo - they just didn't wear them often during the week, mostly just for church. Imagine that?! It wasn't that long ago. I am such a klutz I can't even think about making bricks or working in a field all day without shoes on - I guess you would get good at NOT dropping a brick on your toe in a hurry wouldn't you?

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Great layout Kim! And thanks for sharing some of those memories - hard to believe people had to live like that!!

KimmyKimKim said...

You are right Tracey but honestly I am not sure that they minded even. It was just what they knew. I know my dh's gramma couldn't believe it when she saw the inside of a grocery store when she moved to Canada. She had NEVER seen that much food in one place at one time. And they were by no means starving - you know? She was just amazed!
TFL!

Tracey said...

I guess if you don't know any different then you really wouldn't think anything of it. Coming from the life I live here (which is by no means extravagant by our standards) I just can't believe it!! There is definitely something to be said for living a simpler life though!!

Vicki said...

I looooove that layout! What a great memory!!