Saturday, October 11, 2008

Better than chips! More meat-free goodness...




I was inspired by a recipe I saw on a cooking show - however, if I am being honest, I was doing a million other things when it was on and I was not paying close attention.

Here is my recipe for Black Pepper Lime Chick Pea Snacks - Inspired by Rachel Ray but not exactly her instructions I am sure. Sorry Rachel.

Here is what I did:

Drain and dry can of chick peas.
Put about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet or teflon frying pan.
Add the chick peas, some sea salt (about a tsp-ish) tons of black pepper and sprinkle some lime juice over top. About a tbsp of lime juice depending on your taste. These will turn all crispy and since there isn't too much oil - it's not too terrible for you.

After you turn off the heat - add about 2 tbsp of romano or parmesan (not the powdered stuff - fresh if you got it) and it will melt into the beans, stir it around quickly so it melts but doesn't burn and then dump in a bowl and snacky-snacky. We put these in some homemade squash soup - but after that we were eating them for a treat whilst playing Texas Hold Em!
If you can't or don't eat dairy -- leave out the cheese and these are still awesome.

No comments: